Born in Berlin, Christmann emigrated to Australia in 1959. Regarded as a painter’s painter, Christmann has been making abstract and figurative paintings since the early 1960s and has exhibited frequently since 1965 throughout Australia and overseas.
He has been labelled as one of the major Australian artists of his generation and ‘one of Australia’s best kept secrets by art historian and curator Mary Eagle.
- The Field exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria in 1968
- XI Biennale of Sao Paolo, Brazil in 1971
- 1st & 4th Biennale of Sydney in 1973 and 1982
- Melbourne Art Fair in 2012
- Auckland Art Fair in 2011
- Heide Museum of Modern Art 2014
- Art Gallery of New South Wales,
- National Gallery of Australia
- National Gallery of Victoria
- Berlinische Galerie, Berlin, Germany
- H.R.M. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands’ Collection, Netherlands
- British Museum, London
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Belgrade
- Sylvester Stallone Collection